Dataset Project – Asian Americans and Graduation Rate in Postsecondary Ed

After some more digging, I’ve decided to throw away the Casino Buses and Homelessness in Flushing, Queens project. Instead, here’s my new new proposal:

The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) is a federal entity that collects, analyze, and reports data related to education in the U.S. and other nations. One of their major programs is the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), a single, comprehensive system that provides data from the nation’s 9,800 public and private postsecondary institutions. Data includes: Special studies of students, financial aid, postsecondary faculty, and bachelor’s degree recipients, doctoral degree recipients, transcript studies, and various longitudinal studies.

I will be looking at data on longitudinal studies about Asian American students and graduation rate at postsecondary institutions by state / geography. Some questions I hope to address:      

1. What are the  percentage / number of Asian / Asian or Pacific Islander students who graduated within 6 years of their studies by state / geography?
  2. How do these data change over the course of the years?
  3. How do these data compare with other race/ethnic groups?
  4. How does gender (male/female) change the outlook of the dataset?

I plan to test out various mapping and data visualization tools and see how my dataset plays out.

-Maple