Workshop: The GC Python Users’ Group (PUG)

Last week, I attended my first Python Users’ Group (PUG) with the GC Digital Fellows for help with setting up and accessing Python on my machine.  They meet every other Monday from 2 – 4PM in the GC Digital Scholarship Lab (Room 7414) to help and support students working on digital projects.  So far this semester, I’ve attended several workshops but felt that the instruction I received at PUG (on both Python and MALLET) was particularly helpful due to the collaborative atmosphere and the opportunity for one-on-one discussions.

Evidence of my attendance: me on the far right, confused but determined.

PUG will meet again next week, November 16.  A recap from last week’s session makes two suggestions for participants:

1. Come to learn Python independently with a group of tutors nearby.
  2. Come with a specific Python-related question or project that you want help with.

I regret not having a data set prepared to work on the last time I attended but I encourage everyone in class to go with something to work on.  Since the last session, I have been working on accessing my data set (a recently published short story collection) and converting it into a readable file for analysis.